Test Your Site Faster with Bulk Performance Tests
Recently we deployed a major update to the Zoompf scanning system that uses queue-based performance jobs to scale the number of performance scans our system can handle. As a benefit of this new architecture, I’m excited to announce two great new features that can greatly simplify your performance testing workflow.
Bulk Run Performance Tests
If you log in to your Zoompf account and select View Results, you’ll notice a new button on the toolbar called Run Test.
As you can guess, this new option now allows you to multi-select existing performance tests to run in bulk. Doesn’t sound like much, but this button represents a pretty significant update to the Zoompf platform. Where before you would only be able to manually run one test at a time (waiting 30 seconds for each to complete), now you can queue up multiple tests to run in the background, then come back later to view the results when complete. This should be a huge time saver when running multiple scenarios at a given moment – just fire up those tests, switch over to your other work, then come back later when they’re all complete.
Currently accounts are limited to running up to 10 simultaneous tests at once, and in the future we’ll be expanding this higher as the platform grows.
Bulk Test Upload
As the name implies, the bulk performance test uploader allows you to upload a CSV text file with new or existing performance tests to run. There are two primary advantages to using the bulk uploader:
- You have several new test scenarios you want to create rapidly.
- You have a suite of existing performance tests you want to repeatedly re-run. (Say after each update to your website).
The bulk uploader now lets you do this in just a few simple clicks.
To use the bulk uploader, log in to your Zoompf account and click the New Test option. Scroll to the bottom and you’ll see a new Bulk Performance Testing section like such:
The next page provides a prompt to upload a text file, and instructions about the file format and your upload limits.
To start, the system will allow you to upload up to 10 tests at a time, and they must be single page scans only. In the future we’ll increase this out as our new queuing architecture expands.
Note: if your Zoompf license is for a fixed # of scans per month, these uploaded tests will count against your monthly total, so use wisely!
The upload file can either be a flat file of Start URLs (one per line), or can use the template linked on the page. If you want to see a good set of sample values for that template, use the export of existing tests link on the uploader page.
Some more information on the template fields:
- Start URL – The URL to run the performance test against. If an existing single-page performance test uses this URL (and the Test Name field is blank), a new snapshot will be created for that existing test. If not, a new test with a default name will be created and used. This field is ignored if an existing Test Name is provided.
- Test Name – Uses the existing performance test with this name (if found), else creates a new test with this name. If this field is blank, a default test name will be created.
- Device Type – If a new test is created, this device type will be used. You can see the possible device type values from the Device Type dropdown when you create a new performance test via the UI. This field is ignored if using an existing test.
After you upload your file, the uploader will first scan the contents and provide you a preview of all actions before processing.
This is a great way for you to test your file format.
Once you confirm, all tests will be queued for processing, so it may take minutes or even hours to complete depending on how many tests you uploaded and how much work is currently in the queue. You can, however, view results as they appear by navigating into the View Results page.
Both of these features were designed to allow you to scale your workflow with Zoompf more efficiently. We hope you find them helpful.
If we can improve these features, or any others, please feel free to contact us with your ideas!